Yoko Littner is the primary female protagonist of the anime series "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann". She wields an extensive range of firearms, most frequently a long-range sniper rifle modeled after the Barrett M82.
I was commissioned to make Yoko Ritona's sniper rifle from the anime "Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann".
The pistol grip was cut from 1/2" MDF.
I cut the trigger from styrene and made the pivot from a nail.
I used small torsion springs to force the trigger to the forward position. Styrene was used to line the interior of the trigger cavity and poplar was used to make the trigger guard.
The muzzle block started as a 2" x 2" block of poplar.
I cut the angles on the table saw.
I threw it on the lathe and shaped the end.
I drilled 3/8" holes on each side for vents and drilled a 1/2" hole in the end of the muzzle.
The magazine sides were made from 1/4" MDF. I cut decorative slots in the sides with the table saw.
The complete magazine boxes.
MDF forms the box that holds the magazine.
I formed the magazine release by hammering aluminum sheet around a steel bar.
The shaped release lever, pivot pin and slots cut into the grip.
The release in place. A small compression spring keeps in pressed forward.
The body of the rifle is a 35" long piece of 1-1/2" PVC pipe. The rings at the rear sling loop and bipod were formed by cutting sections from a PVC connector.
The butt was made from a sheet of 1/4" MDF sandwiched by 3/4" MDF. I sanded the interior curve to meet the PVC body.
I drilled through the top of the PVC so I could access interior screws to hold the butt in place.
For the bolt slot, I drilled two holes and then cut between them, removing a section of the PVC.
I inserted a 1-1/4" PVC pipe into the 1-1/2" PVC body to form the bolt. For the handle, I used a socket screw and a bit of brass tubing to cover the exposed threads.
The assembled body so far.
To cover seams and make the butt more solid, I wrapped it with .04 styrene plastic.
I glued on some styrene strips along the edge. The bolt insert was capped off by a styrene plate.
The sight rail was glued and screwed on the top of the body tube, conveniently hiding the holes for attaching the grip assembly.
I found an inexpensive folding bipod at the Sports Authority but had to cut of a bit so it would fold up.
I used the supplied screws but attached the bipod from inside the barrel, through two access holes I drilled above them.
For the feet, I cut a square of steel and epoxied them to the legs.
I cut panels from sheet aluminum and attached them with pop rivets to the legs.
The completed bipod.
The bipod folded up.
For the barrel I used a 1" oak dowel. The fit wasn't tight so I used a section of PVC to act as a spacer. The slot at the bottom allows it to pass by the bipod screws.
Once inserted, it's held in place by two screws that use the bipod access holes.
I bought a set of sling mounts that screw into the PVC rings on the body and the barrel.
The scope was made from PVC (front and rear sections), wooden dowel, lathed wooden cones and MDF end caps.
I was able to get lenses the perfect size from a Dollar Store insect viewer. The front lens was the unmodified "viewing" lens and the rear lens was made from the enclosed magnifying glass.
The sight adjustment knobs were cut from a 1" dowel.
I cut posts from brass tubing that will also hide the knob attaching screw.
The final knobs.
I cut the front and rear scope mount out of 1/4" poplar.
I cut each in half and inserted long bolts to attach them. The bottom bolt goes through the rail.
The final assembled rifle with a coat of primer (per client's request).
The rifle is a massive 73" long!
Detail of the scope. I forgot to add the lens on the small range finder.
The folded bipod with added rubber feet.
The magazine is an open box so you have someplace to hide your weed...er...keys and ID.
I had enough parts leftover from the commission to make a second rifle. I decided to make some modifications and paint it.
I made a moveable spring loaded bolt from an inner PVC pipe and a wooden dowel.
I finished the magazine and added a fake bullet at the top.
I used real mounting rings to attach the scope.
After painting the rifle, I used banner adhesive vinyl to make the marking on the barrel and stock.
The final piece...good enough to get you shot!
I've also made copies in navy blue to be a more literal translation of the anime.